Winter has only just begun but New England has already seen its fair share of freezing temperatures and snow … and that’s saying something! Whether you love it, hate it, or feel completely indifferent, frosty winter weather will be here for a while, and that means your heating system could have a battle on its hands. However, that doesn’t necessarily mean you have an extra service bill on yours. If your boiler or furnace shuts off for any reason, you may be able to get it back up and running on your own and save yourself a service call. Here’s how:
- Check the emergency oil burner switch to make sure it’s in the “on” position. The burner switch is typically a red switch plate located at the top of the basement stairs or at the side of the boiler or furnace.
- Check the thermostat batteries and turn up the heat at least 10 degrees higher than room temperature.
- Check for a blown fuse or tripped circuit breaker.
- Check the oil tank gauge to make sure there’s oil in the tank. If you have a boiler, check the water level and, if necessary, refill it.
- Push the “Reset” button on the burner ONE TIME ONLY if the system remains off.
If you’ve gone through each step above and your heating equipment still won’t turn on, call 781-326-9500 right away, and we’ll send an expert technician over to fix the problem.